Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Recipe {Cucumber Salad}

Growing up, I spent a lot of time at my grandparents farm.  During the summer both Grandma and Grandpa plant gardens.  One of mine and Grandma's favorite veggies are the cucumbers.  I remember Grandma picking a cucumber from the garden, slicing it up, and sprinkling it with salt and pepper.  So simple and so delicious!  We actually had some last week while sitting on the porch of our condo in Destin, Florida. 

There is such a difference between a homegrown cucumber and those huge things you buy at the grocery store...no comparison.  What we have found is that the smaller the cucumber is, the better it tastes.  Many of the big ones can get bitter.If you can't get your hands on homegrown cucumbers, the next best thing that I have found are the mini cucumbers.  I just bought some at Sam's.  They are much smaller than the typical ones you buy and they taste a whole lot better! 

I love them just with salt and pepper, as mentioned above, but I also love them in this Cucumber Salad....


Cucumbers
Onion
Vinegar {can be any kind, this time I used apple cider vinegar}
Ranch Salad Dressing
Salt
Pepper

Slice your cucumbers & onions {as many as you want}, toss with vinegar, ranch dressing, salt, & pepper.  I just eye ball it.  You don't want them floating but you really can't mess it up.  These are great right away, and also after they sit for a little bit and marinate.

This is a great crisp and cool side to any summer dish.  Oh....and EASY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...